Table of Contents
How do I book a walk?
Login to the website and open the activity that you want to attend. Scroll down to the RSVP section. A message will display if bookings are not yet open. Bookings usually open at the beginning of each month, and close a day before the event.
When bookings are open, click the button to RSVP.
Sometimes we need to collect additional information from you when on the booking form, such as 4WD transport or campsite bookings.
If the leader agrees to allow children on a walk, please add the number of children to your RSVP. Children need to be fully supervised by their parent or guardian, and you will need to sign and bring with you the Acknowledgement of Risk and Waiver for a child.
After you have booked your place, you will receive a confirmation email.
Why are there limits on group sizes for walks?
We limit group sizes on walk for a number of reasons:
- Insurance requirements, both minimum and maximum group sizes
- Land managers may have restrictions, for example a National Park may require consent for a group above a certain size, or impose group size limits in wilderness areas.
- The number of campsites, or parking spaces available at the track head, or number of 4WDs available for access, may all put a limit group numbers
- And lastly, our volunteer leaders may not feel comfortable leading a group above a certain size on a particular walk, and ultimately group size is their decision
What if the walk I want to do is full?
You can join the waitlist for a fully-booked walk. If someone cancels, the first person on the waitlist is automatically offered a place, and an email will be sent to notify them.
If a walk is very popular, we may be able to schedule a repeat walk on another date, or we may be able to split the group if a second leader volunteers.
What does "Expressions of Interest" mean?
We have three types of bookings
- No need to book – for these activities, you can just turn up.
- Bookings – for most activities, please use the website RSVP system. These walks are booked on a first in basis. If you have not walked with the leader before, they may ask you questions about your fitness level and walking experience.
- Expressions of interest – for certain walks, the volunteer leader reserves the right to choose who they will accept from all those who have indicated their interest in an activity on the website. Reasons for this include that the leader wants to have confidence in members abilities on challenging walks, and ensure a harmonious group of walkers with similar capabilities and pace.
You need to first walk with us regularly on day walks before joining an overnight full-pack walk or multi-day full-pack walk, but newcomers are welcome to join us at base campouts with day walks.
For challenging walks, you might see “Must be known to leader”. If they don’t know you and haven’t walked with you before, they aren’t comfortable taking you as it potentially puts the whole group at risk – it’s their decision as a volunteer leader.
How do I view my bookings, or change my booking details
There are two ways that you can view your booking. First, login to the website.
- Find the activity on the Calendar, then open the activity page and scroll down to the RSVP section. A message will indicate you are booked, or on the waiting list.
- Alternatively, go to the My account menu, and the sub menu My activities. All the activities that you are either booked on or on the waiting list are shown, as well as your past activities. The Edit button allows you to change your booking details, for example if you can no longer offer use of a 4WD to access the trail head
How do I cancel a walk?
If you are unable to attend a walk, please use the website to cancel your booking as soon as possible to allow others to attend.
If the leader is relying on you for transport, or you are cancelling less than 24 hours before the walk, please text the leader, as they may not check their email, read Facebook etc.
Also, after bookings have closed, the cancel button is no longer available on the website, and you must contact the leader directly. For a day walk, bookings usually close the day before the activity.
You can find the leaders email address and mobile phone number on the activity details on the website.
To cancel, either:
- Go to the My account menu, and the sub menu My activities. Find the activity you want to cancel, and click the Cancel button (see screenshot above)
- Or, find the activity on the Calendar, then open the activity page, and scroll down to the RSVP section. A message will indicate you are booked, or on the waiting list, and below that is a link to “Cancel, I can no longer go”, ask in the screenshot below.
The leader may cancel the walk if there are less than 4 people or they have concerns about safety, for example if extreme weather is forecast. They will let you know if the walk is cancelled, so check your phone or email.
Why didn't I get an email about the walk?
The website sends you an email from firstname.lastname@example.org (Coffs Hikers) when
- you book onto a walk
- someone cancels, and you are moved off the waiting list and booked onto the walk
- you cancel a walk, or the leader cancels the walk
- and the day before the walk as a reminder